Why You Should Reconsider FSBO
While selling your home on your own — without a seller’s agent — might seem like a great way to save money on a commission fee, most FSBO sellers come to regret their decision. This is because the numbers don’t lie — most for-sale-by-owner homes sell for less and take longer to sell when compared to similar homes listed by an agent. Local realtors are trained professionals who know the intricacies of the real estate market and possess the skills necessary to sell your home for the right price at the right time.
Here are five reasons why you should reconsider FSBO.
5 Reasons to Use a Des Moines Real Estate Agent
- Pricing. The original listing price matters. If the price is too high, it will linger on the market, and potential buyers will ultimately start to wonder if there is something drastically wrong with the house. If the price is too low, you lose money. You have an emotional connection to your home, so leave it to a realtor to use their experience, expertise and a detailed market analysis to set the right listing price.
- Exposure and Marketing. Your home needs to reach the maximum number of potential buyers to sell for the highest price. Real estate agents will not only prepare marketing materials, list your home on the MLS and hold open houses, they also regularly network with other professionals who just might have the right buyer in mind.
- Negotiating. The sale process involves three important negotiating periods — the initial offer, the counteroffer and the inspection and requests for concessions. You need a skilled negotiator on your side during each of these periods.
- Paperwork. Selling a home involves a lot of paperwork. If you miss an important detail, the sale will not go through. Worse even, you may face serious legal repercussions.
- Value. While many sellers think they’ll lose money using a real estate agent, this is simply not the case. In fact, you might even make more money. Homes sold by a real estate professional can sell for more than 10 percent more than a FSBO home.