Tips for Making the Best Offer
As a buyer, it’s important to stand out from the crowd when buying a home. The real estate market in Des Moines remains a sellers’ market, so bidding wars and multiple offers are quite common. If you’re thinking about buying a home right now, here are some things to keep in mind throughout the process of placing an offer.
How to Make the Best Offer
- Know your budget and get pre-approved. Pre-approval from a lender shows buyers you’re prepared and serious about buying a home. It also enables you to act quickly when you stumble across the perfect opportunity – you won’t have to guess and hope you’ll find an affordable loan after the fact.
- Move fast when necessary. Know your “must haves” and “wants” in a home, and be prepared to move quickly when a home for sale hits these marks. In a sellers’ market, you might not have time to mull over your decision for days.
- Hire a real estate professional. A local, experienced real estate professional has the necessary insight into what has worked for other buyers and what sellers are looking for in an offer. Catering your offer to a seller can make a world of difference.
- Create a fair offer. Similarly, this is where a local realtor can help. In many cases, merely offering near the asking price is not enough. A real estate agent can craft a strong offer, taking market value, buyer demand and sales trends into account.
- Keep both your and the seller’s best interests in mind. Let your real estate agent help you decide which contingencies to keep and what you should consider giving up. For example, a home inspection should never be waived.
In competitive housing markets, it’s important to make your offer stand out from the crowd. Keep these tips in mind and feel free to reach out to the Knickerbocker Real Estate Team for help crafting your best offer.