How to Get Your Home Ready to Sell This Spring
Spring is often universally touted as the best time to sell a home. As the weather warms and flowers burst to life, so do many Central Iowa real estate markets. Here are some tips for preparing your home for a successful, quick spring sale.
6 Tips to Prepare for a Spring Home Sale
- Pay attention to your yard. First impressions are important. A well-maintained yard is critical for initial curb appeal. Most buyers form a positive or negative impression of a home within the first minute of seeing it. Make sure your grass is mowed, weeds are under control and bushes are trimmed. Beyond landscaping, power washing your walkway and freshening up your front door with a new welcome mat or fresh coat of paint go a long way.
- Perform repairs. It’s time to fix all those imperfections you have been putting off. Take a walk through your home and note anything that needs to be fixed. This can range from filling nail holes and fixing leaky faucets to updating HVAC systems and replacing broken windows. It’s also a great time to replace outdated fixtures.
- Deep clean your floors. Whether you have hardwood, vinyl, linoleum or carpeted floors, take a weekend to make sure everything is deep cleaned. Pristine floors impress buyers and freshen up rooms.
- Clean windows and doors. Cleaning windows, doors and mirrors is often overlooked, but it is a great way to let in light and add a bit of sparkle to your home.
- Declutter and depersonalize your home. Buyers need to envision themselves living in your home, so you’ll need to reduce clutter and pack up all those family photos. If you have a lot of personal belongings and clutter (think about closets and other oft-forgotten spaces), consider renting a storage space during the listing process. Removing pets and pet supplies is also recommended for showings.
- Eliminate bad odors. Thoroughly cleaning your home should help eliminate any noticeable odors, but you should also consider lighting candles or baking cookies before showings. However, don’t go overboard with scented sprays.
Ready to Sell a Home in Central Iowa?
Let the Des Moines real estate professionals at Knickerbocker Real Estate connect you to the best buyers for your Central Iowa home. Selling a home can be complicated, but our experience and expertise in the Des Moines real estate market ensures an efficient and smooth process. Contact us today!